top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

You may find an answer to a question on your mind in the section below. If not, please reach out with any other questions or requests for more information.

What is an SLP?

SLP is short for Speech-Language Pathologist. We are regulated healthcare professionals who work with people of all ages to assess and treat disorders in many areas related to communication. Read more

Do I need a referral?

You DO NOT need a referral to begin assessment and/or therapy. Some insurance companies, however, MAY require a doctor's referral in order to cover your cost.

What are your prices?

Assessment $175-$250

Therapy (1h) $145

Therapy (45m) $110

Mileage $0.55/km* *outside Petawawa, ON

Requested paperwork (i.e. report, copies, etc) is extra

Is the cost covered by insurance?

Many insurers DO cover speech & language services, so check yours! You will receive a receipt following payment, which you can provide to your insurer for reimbursement (no direct billing currently)

Do you have a waitlist?

We do have a waitlist for new assessments and therapy. Please contact us to be added to the list, or fill in the form on our home page.

Where are you located?

Currently Language Matters works in your home and in our clinic space in Petawawa (Petawawa Centennial Family Health Centre). We typically service Deep River to Renfrew to Eganville with travel fees outside of Petawawa.

Do you offer service in French?

Unfortunately we DO NOT offer assessment or therapy in French at this time. Please check back, as this is a goal for the future as the team grows.

Why does therapy look like play?

Therapy often looks like play for young children. This is how they learn best! Therapy becomes enjoyable which helps us help them longer and keep everyone happier. Your goals are BUILT IN to play. Learn more.

How long will my child need services?

This will very based on the needs! It's not uncommon for us to work for 6mo-1year at minimum, and some children benefit from therapy into adulthood. Our therapy timing is FLEXIBLE, however, and as requested.

Can you see my child at daycare or school?

As long as it's ok with your provider, and it makes sense for your child, therapy may be able to happen at daycare or school.

Arrangements will need to be made so please contact us in advance.

Do I Need a Report?

Assessment comes with a small summary included. Optional full multi-page report is available for a fee. Reports are often requested when families want to share information between professionals or with school.

Is financial assistance available?

Firstly, check your insurance coverage. If not, you may be eligible for Ceridian Cares, Jennifer Ashleigh Children's Charity, Labatt - Better Together. SLP/SLPA service is eligible for the 

Ontario Autism Program 

bottom of page